Sights of Kefalonia

Image

Memorial Acqui Division

At the top of the hill, at Fanari, the limits of the town of Argostoli is the Monument to the Fallen Italians.
Constructed in 1978 in memory of the Italians who lost their lives in Kefalonia, in one of the worst massacres of the Second World War: the Division Acqui was located in Kefalonia, when Italy capitulated against the until then allies of the Germans and faced their wrath . The Italians of Division refused to surrender to the Germans, but they preferred to deal with them in battle, although they had no hope of escape: those who were not killed on the spot captured.
Almost 10,000 Italians died in Kefalonia in battles that lasted ten days, were executed by the Germans since been arrested, while about 3,000 were drowned when the boat in which fleeing fell a mine very close to the island. the point "Casetta Rossa" (Red House) located near War Memorial Italians when Germans executed 117 people.
In the Memorial of Italians is a white cross and beside this the inscriptions in Greek and Italian remind visitors the horrors of war through the sacrifice of the Italians.
Annually becomes ceremony at Memorial Italians, where attend representatives of Italy and Greece.

Mycenaean Tombs of Mazarakata

The public utility structures who want to make the English conquerors of Kefalonia, in the 19th century led to the discovery of the Mycenaean Mazarakata graves, the largest Mycenaean cemetery Ionian near to the vilage of Mazarakata in Livathos. the commander from Switzerland De Bosset (known more for the construction of Bridge of Argostoli who got its name) in 1813 make excavating the site to take limestone for road coating.
The British rule violated four of the total of seventeen Mycenaean tombs Mazarakata and findings came into possession the De Bosset. The findings to date are in the  museum Neuchâte in Switzerland where De Bosset did donated.
The great archaeologist Cephalonian Panagis Kavadias dealt with the Mazarakata Mycenaean tombs in 1899 and until the early 20th century, had olready searched the four tombs discovered by De Bosset and revealed still other 12 tombs. The 17th tomb was accidentally discovered in 1951 and explored by also Kefalonian archeologist Spyros Marinatos.
The Mazarakata Mycenaean tombs are carved on the natural rock, underground and not have the same shape and size. The burial pits also vary. Because during the Mycenaean period prevailed the custom of disposing, each tomb was used several times. The major funerary gifts of graves exposed in the Archaeological Museum of Argostoli.

Mycanaean Tomb of Tzanata

In 1992 in the position Bourtzi in the vilage Tzanata another finding of Mycenaean civilization came to light by the archaeologist Lazaros Colona, confirming once again how the island flourished during this period. It is a well-preserved vaulted tomb, which is unique of its kind in western Greece for its good condition and size (height 3.95 meters and 6.80 meters diameter). The area of the tomb is 250 square meters.
The objects discovered during archaeological researchs is evidenc wealth and apparently belonged to nobles and lords who are buried here. It is estimated that here were hundreds of burials between 1400 and 1000 BC because during the Mycenaean era, each vaulted tomb was used for more than one dead.
The Mycenaean vaulted tomb of Tzannata had been looted during antiquity. During the Venetian period in Kefalonia, apparently collapsed part of the canopy and then the tomb was used as accommodation.
The finds, including jewelery, seals, clay figurines, miniature objects, small gold votive double ax, gilded bull horns and many others, are exhibited in the Archaeological Museum of Argostoli.